Friday, August 8, 2008

Abu Shakra???

I decided on a pretty odd URL for this blog so I thought I might explain.

Several years ago I was volunteering at a local Christian missions school that ministers to Arabs. I was teaching religion and history to high-schoolers. The girls in my tenth grade history class decided that Mr. Jamison was too much to say and not sufficiently descriptive. They started calling me Abu Shakra. It means "father of the blond". The name stuck and for quite some time I answered to it.

I don't get called that as much as I used to, but I think that it is pretty representative of my life here. First of all it was given to me and used by the Jerusalem students that I love so much. Secondly, it symbolizes a life lived in a place where every single person who sees you immediately knows that you are a foreigner. And lastly, it's exactly where I am now. I am currently the father of four beautiful blond children.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a cool blog...I like the portrait, but where is the fourth child? ...I see three babies and a beautiful wife..

The_Alien said...

I honestly like it. You have a mind that is good for writing; even this simple statement draws one in.

And I am quite a fan of the minimalist design, also. Everytime I have started a blog on blogger, it uses that feature.

.K

Anonymous said...

i appreciate your blog name. :) almost a decade later, it's still what i call you.

from-- one of the girls who christened you Abu Shakra.

Scorpio said...

not to mention the bald bit.. ahem ahem.. lol love you!!!